Monday, April 30, 2007

VR Defender Y3K: Walkthrough

VR Defender Y3K is another tower defense game, this time from armorgames. Place your towers to defend your server from the invading viruses (I might be getting the story line incorrect, but the back story just isn't important).

As with other tower defense games, you have several different types of towers to choose from. Take your pick (if you can afford it), place them strategically, and blow the creeps (viruses) up before they hit the tower (server). There are several different levels; easy, hard, very hard and impossible. The difference is in the map. Both easy and hard have 51 waves to beat. I haven't tried the other two.

Walkthrough: To beat hard, this is what I did: Place two machine guns near the beginning. If you blow up the inset picture, you'll see the first one on the middle left, the second one under the first n in congratulations. Then, I upgraded them both three times (alternating, so there is never more than one level difference between them).

Then I could afford to build a flame thrower on the corner (see picture, under the ti and just below the on in congratulations). By building them on the corner, they could hit the creeps as they were coming and as they were going. Again, I alternated upgrading them to level 3.

At that point, I built a couple of lightning towers. Again, I alternated upgrading them to level 3. Lightning towers have the added ability to freeze creeps for up to 2 seconds. As the creeps get harder, you're going to need more time to kill them off.

Then I started building light towers. I would only upgrade them once, then I would build another one. They have a large enough reach that upgrading them more than that would be a waste of time. These are the towers that do the most damage in my solution.

To finish the game, I would build both lightning (scatter them around) and light towers (in the center). I would upgrade the lightning towers to level 3 and the light towers to level 2. The lightning towers would freeze them, while the light towers would do the most damage. My reasoning for only going to level 2 for the light towers was thus: I could either wait to build up enough money to upgrade to level 3, or I could go ahead and build another tower. I'd rather have another tower sooner, given their long range.

I've seen other solutions involving freezing towers and void tower. I can never get the creeps to bunch up well with the frost towers but, if you're inclined to do it that way, feel free.

Play VR Defender Y3K at armorgames.